Civil Service Positions
UI Health Nursing
Visiting Research Specialist- Biological Sciences (Job ID #31805)
The Visiting Research Specialist will work in an aquatic microbial ecology lab in the Department of Biological Sciences at UIC. He/she will work on projects examining the ecology of complex microbial communities using a combination of traditional molecular microbiology and cutting edge techniques including metagenomics and metatranscriptomics. Research will involve: collection of samples from the environment; DNA and RNA extractions from microbial organisms; preparing DNA/RNA for next-gen sequencing; analysis of sequencing data; isolation and culture of environmental bacteria; basic biogeochemical measurements. The VRS will conduct his/her own research, assist with general research in the lab, and train other laboratory personnel in various techniques involving phylogenetic and functional diversity studies of microbial assemblages and comparative genomic analyses of individual microbes. She/he will also perform analyses, manage, document, and help with dissemination of research activities for publication, presentations, and outreach activities.
• Collaborate with the Principle Investigator to design research projects and proposals
• Collect microbial samples from environmental systems
• Conduct and/or prepare samples for biogeochemical measurements such as DOC and DON
• Isolate DNA, RNA, and protein from complex microbial assemblages
• Prepare samples for sequencing
• Analyze metagenomic and metatranscriptomic data using a combination of publicly available, in-house, and custom bioinformatics tools
• Carry out isolations and enrichments and maintain cultures of environmental microbes in the lab
• Develop and refine new research approaches and write comprehensive protocols based on project need
• Contribute material, prepare results, and assist in writing findings for publications, presentations, and grants
• Develop presentations based on laboratory results and attend conferences
• Guide, train, and advise students on techniques, methods, and procedures
• Assist with lab management duties such as ordering supplies, organizing the lab, and maintaining equipment
• Perform research related duties and participate in special projects as assigned
BS Microbiology, Biology, Molecular Biology, or related field is required. MS preferred.
Minimum of 3 years of laboratory research experience is required.
Knowledge of molecular techniques such as PCR, DNA/RNA extractions, FISH required.
Experience with field work is highly desirable.
Experience with annotation and analysis of genomes, pathways, and gene families is highly desirable.
Knowledge of microbial ecology, physiology, and biogeochemistry is preferred.
Familiarity with second generation sequencing platforms (e.g. 454, Illumina) is preferred.
Knowledge of computational data analysis (metagenomic/transcriptomic annotation, metabolic pathway analysis, QIIME, R statistics package, Unix command line, etc.) is preferred.
Salary is between $30,000 and $35,000.
UIC is an AA/EOE.
Back to Job Board
- view Federal and State notices related to employment at the University of Illinois.
Copyright 2012 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois | Web Privacy Statement