REFERENCE and LIAISON LIBRARIAN & ASSISTANT PROFESSOR
(2 POSITIONS IN SCIENCES/MATHEMATICS/ENGINEERING)
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS AT CHICAGO
The University Library of the University of Illinois at Chicago invites applications for two tenure track faculty positions in the Reference Department of the Richard J. Daley Library. Reference/Liaison Librarians participate in general reference and instruction services and are the Library’s primary point of contact with faculty members and students in one or more departments or colleges.
Duties in general reference include:
· Provide traditional reference service at the reference desk
· Answer email and chat reference questions
· Provide instruction for classes and the community at large both in face-to-face sessions and through online tutorials
· Design and create online instructional materials
Duties as liaison to assigned departments or colleges include:
· Develop and manage the collection in assigned areas
· Create online research guides
· Provide instruction and curricular support for courses and conduct one-on-one research consultations
· Support and advocate scholarly communication activities
· Engage with faculty and graduate students to publicize the library’s role in data curation and preservation
· Participate in outreach to both the UIC community and the community at large by disseminating information about the Library’s services, resources and programs
UIC librarians have faculty status and are expected to conduct research, publish and contribute to professional organizations.
Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program; two years of professional library experience or equivalent professional experience; strong public services philosophy; knowledge of information literacy classes and experience developing curriculum and course materials for library instruction sessions; experience in selecting materials and serving as a liaison to a university department or college; evidence of participation in university and professional activities; willingness to keep current with library developments in reference, collection development, research, instruction, and document delivery by attending conferences, workshops, seminars, and reading professional literature; ability to meet university standards in research, publication and professional service commensurate with tenure.
Experience and/or undergraduate or advanced degree in the sciences, mathematics, and/or engineering
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (occasional evening and weekend hours); excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills; previous public services and collection development experience.
Salary and rank dependent upon qualifications and experience. Faculty appointments in the UIC Library begin at $47,000; twelve month appointment with 24 days vacation; 12 annual sick leave with additional disability benefits; 11 paid holidays; paid medical insurance (contribution based on annual salary; coverage for dependents may be purchased); two dental plans available; life insurance paid for by the State; participation in one of the retirement options of the State Universities Retirement System compulsory (8% of salary is withheld and is tax exempt until withdrawal); no Social Security coverage but Medicare payment required; physical examination at University Health Service is required upon appointment.
For fullest consideration, apply by February 28, 2013 with cover letter, supporting resume and name and address of at least three references. All applicants must submit an online application through jobs.uic.edu.
To apply, click on the following link:
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Copyright 2012 The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois | Web Privacy Statement